The Ortho-Perio Mini Masterclass
Are you a dentist completing or keen to start providing clear aligner therapy?
If yes, this online course is essential for you!
· Periodontitis is the most common disease of humans so you will be seeing lots of patients with periodontitis who also want beautiful straight teeth.
· A prime requirement of predictable and safe orthodontic treatment is a healthy and sound periodontium. Learn how to assess the periodontal condition in detail and manage it well before commencing orthodontics to ensure your treatment will be predictable.
· Understand how periodontal procedures can help to deal with the consequences of orthodontic treatment or improve the final results e.g. management of gingival recession.
· All the video modules are packed with interesting discussions, case examples and takeaway points.
Online Course Lessons
Module 1: Introduction, risk factors, assessment & diagnosis
- Introduction on the links and importance of a perio-ortho approach
- Key risk factors
- Periodontal assessment
- Radiographs and sensibility testing
- Diagnosis/new classification
- New classification periodontitis case examples
Module 2: Bone biology
- Biologic principles of orthodontic tooth movement
- Orthodontic mechanics in periodontitis patients
- Specific orthodontic movements
- Acceptable bone levels
Module 3: Treatment planning and management
- Treatment planning for periodontitis, including new treatment guidelines
- Key risk factor management
- Non-surgical periodontal therapy
- Terminology, consent, expected improvements
- How many appointments
- Hand instrumentation
- Working with your hygienist
- Referring for specialist care
Module 4: Maintenance and maximising long-term success
- Periodontal stability and when to commence aligner therapy
- The studies
- Deciding the recall interval
- What’s involved
Module 5: Problem-solving
- Relapse of periodontitis during orthodontic treatment
- Managing complications arising from orthodontic treatment – gingival enlargement, gingival abscess, periodontal abscess, endo-perio lesion/abscess, root resorption
- Medico-legal considerations
- Black triangles
Module 6: Gingival recession
- Definition and causes
- Timing of treatment
Module 7: Crown lengthening
- Definitions and indications
- Surgical approach – flap design, osseous management, suturing, healing
- Timing of restorative work